Wednesday 4 March 2009

Missor

The second day brought more off road challenges and a few navigational err, how shall I say, hiccups. It strikes me that I am between a rock and a hard place here - as a poor workman blames his tools (so I can't blame the dodgy route instructions), but then if I admit to being incompetent - I might as well blame my tools.... Anyway, to cut a long story short, we got lost - a bit, but then we got found again - so that was probably good practice. The plan was, if lost, to go back to the last place where we were sure we had been. As we didn't have to go back to the start, I count that as a success!


We were certainly driving on terrain that was totally new for all 3 of us - the Rat being more used to axle deep mud, than to rocks and sand. We had tiny tracks to follow, oueds to cross and to drive up and washouts to negotiate. Odd bits of road were interspersed between the extensive off-road section, but even the road wasn't exactly what we were used to!


We made it to Missor at a reasonable time and decided to spend the night at the Hotel Baroudi, one of the hotels used by the Tuareg. I think we may well have been the only guests and given how chilly it was that, perhaps wasn't surprising (we ended up in our sleeping bags under their bed clothes with an electric fire on all night.



No comments:

Post a Comment